[council] Possible roles for GNSO vice chair/s

Liz Williams liz.williams at icann.org
Tue Apr 17 10:48:29 UTC 2007

Hello everyone

Just a few personal thoughts from my perspective which may assist.

The role of chair is a heavy load and there is a lot of very close
collaboration with the staff to make sure all the threads come
together.  Separating out the role of chair -- to be a neutral
facilitator; to provide policy input and to help steer the work - is
critical.  From my observation, there is too much work for one person.

The vice chair roles -- as Bruce has described below -- would be a
really good way of spreading the work around and having people
involved in work that suited their differing skill sets.  Also, the
vice chair roles act as good succession planning mechanisms for
future council and board leadership roles.

On the first -- this would be great because there is a lot of
logistical work to arrange meetings which isn't necessarily the role
of the chair.  As we have moved to a series of intersessional
meetings in addition to the very full schedule at ICANN meetings,
having someone from the Council as point person here would be terrific.

On the second -- great idea for many reasons not least because the
load and complexity of the work only seems to be increasing.  An
orderly and predictable approach to the work will help everyone --
staff, councillors and any one else who wishes to be involved in the
process.

This division is also consistent with what the ICANN Board does with
various committees like meetings, governance and finance.

Kind regards.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor