[council] Proposed endgame motion for Whois Task Force - with Whereas'es

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Aug 31 16:56:17 UTC 2007

Hi Avri -

I believe that the terms of the PDP have already been fulfilled, but
that with such an important issue, further public comment is definitely
warranted. Given that this comment period is optional and that we have
had extensive public comment on the issues thus far, we should really be
seeking to optimize for two important inputs:

a) ensuring that the public views on the WG output is appropriately
solicited and adequately understood by Council, and;
b) ensure that the constituency views on the WG is appropriately
solicited and adequately understood by Council.

Given that the WG process was essentially a public process, we have
already allowed for unprecedented and substanial input into the process.
What we haven't done is provide the constituencies with a period in
which to consider the report and its implications.

There is actually one other option available to us - we could shorten up
the time period for the constituency comments. I don't actually believe
that this is where we should try to save time on the schedule, but it is
an option. My strong preference is that we instead reduce the public
comment period by three business days instead.

I do understand the opposition to this proposal, but after seven years
of discussion on this question, three years of focus on the current
working group and six months devoted to the public working group
process, I am disinclined to believe that a full 20 day comment period
will have a material impact on the outcome of this process.

--
Regards,

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services