[council] GNSO review - the easy wins

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Thu Feb 15 09:24:40 UTC 2007

Fellow Council Members,
You may recall I discussed with some of you in Brazil as well as with staff the idea of
seeing if there were some of the 24 recommendations in the LSE GNSO review that were ones
that would meet with universal agreement on Council. Having reviewed the list again I would
now like to make such a proposal.
The attached list of 9 of the 24 recommendations are ones that I am guessing we would all
categorise as either:
- blindingly obvious to do (eg web site improvement)
- seem like a good idea (eg annual policy plan)
- what we have been asking for for years (eg funded travel).
Indeed many of the items are already in ICANN plans (see list). A kick-start with Council
endorsement will be helpful.

(The list is NOT the full set of recommendations supported by the BC. That list is longer
but we believe that the other recommendations need to be either:
- discussed more,
- considered together,
- considered with the Board governance committee,
before we can reach a view as Council).

However, small steps are always good to show progress so would you be kind enough to
indicate if indeed you DO support this short list of the 9 easy wins ?
If there are any items you do not support, just say so with a brief explanation, and I will
take them off the list: by definition they would not be easy wins!

That should leave us with a set of 9 or less of which we can say Council supports immediate
implementation. That will mean in most cases staff do work and return to Council with a
worked out proposal.

I hope you agree this is a good idea to demonstrate Council's enthusiasm for
self-improvement.

Philip