[council] Rationale of thresholds for initiating issues reports and PDPs

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 25 05:38:08 UTC 2007

On 25 maj 2007, at 05.52, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> The view points on this topic tend to divide by those
> that have weighted voting (want it retained) and those that don't
> (want
> it removed) :-)

I am not sure that the division between the two positions maps that
strictly.  I expect there are those on both sides of this issue who
are able to look at it more or less dispassionately and make a
decision that is not based on whether they have 1 vote or 2.  I
believe that is at least true for the individual representatives.
That may not be true for the constituencies themselves - it is hard
to imagine a collective mind such as a constituency that enforces
constituency based united front voting being willing to give up such
an advantage if it has it, or not wanting an advantage it doesn't have.

And yes, I noticed that you said 'tends'. ;-)

a.

note on 'united front' for anyone who has not encountered the term
before, it is a notion that no matter how much disagreement there may
be within a group, e.g. a constituency, it behaves as if of one mind
outside the constituency.  in the politics it is sometimes called
party discipline.  opinions on whether it is good or evil vary.