[council] An issue or not an issue - that is the question

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 25 08:52:47 UTC 2007

On 25 maj 2007, at 09.57, Philip Sheppard wrote:

> The vote should NOT be based on Council's view of the merits of any
> possible outcome or
> resources. These questions come later.
> The reasons to vote NO are:
> a) it is outside of the scope of the GNSO
> b) it is an issue best dealt with bilaterally by the parties concerned
> c) it is in scope but of trivial importance.

There may be other reasons.  one example is:

- while there is a gTLD process going on that is considering reserved
names and other similar issues, perhaps taking a separate route is
not necessary and there may be other ways to handle it.

another possibility

- that no matter how 'bend over backwards' cooperative the staff is
being a person might still feel that it is an overload at this time
when we are in a crunch to finish the new gTLD work.

> The vote on whether to ask for an Issues Report should be a
> collegiate action of Council
> meaning that:

I think the possible inference that those who voted against this were
being non-collegial is perhaps a bit strong.  but perhaps the message
did not mean to imply that  and i am mistaken in reading that into it.

best regards,

a.