[council] Issues Report on Domain Tasting

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue May 29 17:18:13 UTC 2007

Maria Farrell wrote:
> Dear Council members,
>
> Attached is the Issues Report on Domain Name Tasting requested by the
> At-Large Advisory Committee on 9
> May (http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg03474.html).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Maria Farrell

As a backgrounder, this document is very useful. Thank you very much.

I would like to better understand what the policy implications are
however. As contrast, when we voted to initiated the Transfers PDP, we
understood that domain name portability was desirable, and that policy
action was required to preserve and augment domain name portability. We
are able to measure the success of that policy development process by
examining the degree to which domain name portability has been preserved
and enhanced.

However, after reading this document, I do not understand what the
policy implications are related to domain tasting. Is this an
availability issue? An economic one? Are there privacy implications?
Intellectual property concerns? Before I can vote to proceed with a PDP
on this subject, I would like to reasonably understand what the
objectives and drivers are, but unfortunately, this issues report
doesn't really give me enough of a sense of the issues to guess at what
the policy outcomes might look like.

-ross