[council] AWOL and the reform proposals

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Nov 2 14:13:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

I sent the following in to the gnso-improvements list during the
meeting on Monday.

a.

----

To the members of the committee:

First I thank the working group for its efforts and find myself in
agreement with much of the report.

While I agree that the GNSO Council should not be a legislative body,
I am concerned about scope in your definition of "management." The
report seems rather explicit in defining management solely as
responsibility for process. I think that the notion of management
needs to be expanded to include responsibility for Policy management.

I think the idea of the Council only being responsible for process
management is too limited. And while I accept the arguments that this
will make recruitment much more difficult, not only among
constituencies and stakeholder group, but within the Nomcom process,
I think that this is the lesser of the problems with this approach.

I support the idea of Working Groups, despite the challenge involved
in creating working groups that are of sufficiently diverse and of
manageable size. I think that the Council needs to remain responsible
for the policy activities and output of the working groups. Not only
do I think that councillors should be chosen as stewards for these
Working Groups, but I believe that the Council should have a role in
determining whether the policy recommendations are compatible with
ICANN mission and core value and other policy recommendations. Beyond
this there is a need to make sure that the various policy
recommendation are not seen individually but are seen in the light of
other policy processes and efforts. This does not mean that the
council should be able to reject the work of a working group because
it disagrees with the conclusions. It does mean that the council
should be able to return policy recommendations to the working group
with policy issues and concerns that it believes are not adequately
dealt with.

I agree with the comment that Thomas Narten made, it is critical for
the council to have a voice in deciding whether the policy
recommendations of a working group are good for the Internet
community. To me, this means that the council must retain a policy
management role.

Avri