[council] AWOL and the reform proposals

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri Nov 2 16:24:22 UTC 2007

Avri,

I did not assume such a restrictive role for the Council under the
proposed improvements, i.e., " the Council only being responsible for
process management".  I assumed that the Council's responsibilities
would include policy management in a broader sense than just process
management although I think the two areas are hard to differentiate in
some cases.  I fully agree with you that the policy items you identified
should be the responsibility of the Council under the proposed model and
would add to your examples the following: ensuring that policy
development work complies with Bylaws restrictions defining consensus
policy development (a change recommended in the recommendations) or, if
the work does not apply as possible consensus policy development, making
that clear to the working group in advance and throughout the process as
needed.

When I made my public comments in the GNSO Improvements Workshop on
Monday, I made them with the above assumption.  That is why I thought
that there would still be good motivation to participate on the Council.
If in fact, the BGC WG intended the more restrictive role of the Council
as you concluded, then I would have more empathy for the concern about
attracting qualified participants to the Council.

It seems to me that it would be very good if you, as chair, seek
clarification from the BGC WG in this regard so that we know whether or
not there is a concern here that we should address or not.

Chuck Gomes