[council] Draft reply Council on GNSO reform

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Nov 27 15:36:22 UTC 2007

Tim,

Please see my comments below.

Chuck Gomes

CG:  What about the experience we had with the Introduction of New gTLDs
Committee that lasted for about 20 months?  What about the GNSO IDN WG?
What about the Reserved Names WG?  All of these incorporated useful
elements of working groups. Should I conclude that you were not
impressed with any of this experience?  I am fully aware of the
difficulties with the Whois WG and I think we can learn from that to
design improvements into the WG approach, but we also should recognize
that no model, WG model or any other, will be a panacea.  Hence the need
for flexibility.

> We need to define how WGs should be structured and operate
> and then try it out, and refine as necessary. Until we know
> that WGs can be consistently effective I don't see them as
> any better, or worse, than the Task Force model.

Totally agree that it needs to be defined.  That is the task in front of
us, "to define how WGs should be structured and operate".  As long as we
do that thoroughly and carefully, we have the opportunity to improve the
process.  That can and should include the positive elements of
successful working groups and task forces of the past and it definitely
should include flexibility as I think all of us agree.  Moreover, it
should include ongoing review and improvement as we learn.

I challenge you to look carefully at the task force model in the current
PDP in the Bylaws.  It is very narrowly defined and restrictive and has
much less flexibility than anything we have done along the lines of a
WG.