[council] Response to ccNSO/GAC Issues report

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Mon Feb 11 12:36:11 UTC 2008

Chuck,

I agree with you that trademarks are only a subset of "confusingly
similar".  The point is that trademarks are outside of the realm of
technical confusion, and only technical confusion should be included
within the "confusingly similar" issue since that is all that is
within ICANN's scope of authority.

I disagree that international law says that domain names, without any
analysis of their use, can be considered confusingly similar.  Please
remember the presentation that Professor Christine Haight Farley,
American University international trademark law expert,  gave to us
in San Juan, where she attempted to explain this key point in detail.
   Her paper is online at:  http://ipjustice.org/wp/2007/06/06/farley-
legal-briefing/
   and the video of her presentation is at:  http://www.keep-the-core-
neutral.org/node/31

It is a mistake for us to continue to expand trademark rights in
domain names beyond the scope of rights that trademark law grants.
So I can't support a GNSO position that does this.

Another suggestion that was provided at our dinner table last night
was that a better way to deal with confusion caused by similar script
characters (such as the "paypal example")  is by the creation of new
FONTS that make the characters more distinct and thus eliminate this
type of confusion through a software fix (rather than by expanding
trademark rights).  I agree that we should explore this approach.

Thanks,
Robin

w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org