[council] FW: [ccnso-idncctld] Draft Final Report

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Jun 10 00:05:13 UTC 2008

Edmon (and other GNSO participants in the IDNC),

Thanks for providing this.  Let me start off by saying that I personally
believe that a lot of good work has gone into this; with that in mind
though, I will focus only on some some questions and comments I have.

Section 3

'C: Purpose of Fast Track is to meet pressing demand'

*
	I find it interesting that 'pressing demand' will be measured by
'readiness of the selected delegate and relevant stakeholders in the
territory to meet the requirements to introduce an IDN ccTLD'.
*
	If that is ultimately what is decided, am I correct in
concluding that any ccTLD organization that is ready will be deemed to
have a pressing demand?
*
	Sorry for the unrealistic example and one that will not be
allowed because it is a non-Latin script but I think it illustrates my
point:  If deNIC demonstrates it is ready to offer name registration
services for .deutschland, then they will have satisfied the criterion;
is that accurate?  So they would be deemed to establish pressing demand
even if there isn't any.
*
	The same flawed logic could be used for a non-Latin script.
*
	It might make more sense to have a criterion of readiness
instead of pressing demand if that is the way it will be measured.

E: The proposed string and delegation request should be non-contentious
within the territory

*	I won't restate the problems you are already aware of with
regard to the definition of non-contentious.

Section 4

'Stage 1: Preparing for the Fast Track in Territory'

*	How is a delegate selected?
*	Who selects a delegate?
*	Is that left totally up to the local community?

"Requirements relating to the script
For purposes of the Fast Track a non-Latin script is considered to be a
script which identifiers are represented with characters in Unicode not
being ASCII, i.e. [a- z, 0-9]."

*	This definition may need to be refined.  As I read it, it could
be interpreted to mean that German, Spanish and French are based on
non-Latin scripts because they each have non-ASCII characters.

'Technical Requirements'

*	In the 1st & 7th bullets, what is meant by 'IDNA2008'?
*	Does it refer to the yet to be revised IDNA protocol?
*	If so, is it accurate to assume that fast track ccIDNs will not
be introduced until the IDNA protocol revision is finished?

Implementation Questions

*	In reading this document, I can't help but think that
implementing these recommendations is going to be complex and
time-consuming not unlike implementation of the new gTLD
recommendations.  Do you agree?
*	Have there been any discussions about implementation?  How it
would happen?  How long it might take?  etc.

Thanks for all of the time each of you are spending on this work.

Chuck Gomes