[council] FW: [ccnso-idncctld] Draft Final Report

Edmon Chung edmon at dotasia.org
Wed Jun 11 17:39:03 UTC 2008

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the fresh eyes on the document.

> 'C: Purpose of Fast Track is to meet pressing demand'
> • I find it interesting that 'pressing demand' will be measured by
> 'readiness of the selected delegate and relevant stakeholders in the
> territory to meet the requirements to introduce an IDN ccTLD'.

Good point.  I think it was meant to be a balance of pressing demand and an
effective Fast Track.  The Fast Track is also expected to be on-going and
the expectation is that those would pressing demand would get themselves
ready.

> • If that is ultimately what is decided, am I correct in concluding that
any
> ccTLD organization that is ready will be deemed to have a pressing demand?

I do not think that is true.  In fact the report has already indirectly
defined pressing demand in the sense that the script of the IDN TLD string
should be non-Latin based.

> • Sorry for the unrealistic example and one that will not be allowed
because
> it is a non-Latin script but I think it illustrates my point:  If deNIC
> demonstrates it is ready to offer name registration services for
> .deutschland, then they will have satisfied the criterion; is that
> accurate?  So they would be deemed to establish pressing demand even if
> there isn't any.
> • The same flawed logic could be used for a non-Latin script.

The reasoning is that those with pressing demand would get themselves ready.
The reverse was not considered.  It is a good point and one which I will try
to convey to the group.

> • It might make more sense to have a criterion of readiness instead of
> pressing demand if that is the way it will be measured.

That is i think the idea.

> E: The proposed string and delegation request should be non-contentious
> within the territory
> • I won't restate the problems you are already aware of with regard to the
> definition of non-contentious.

:-)

> Section 4
>
> 'Stage 1: Preparing for the Fast Track in Territory'
> • How is a delegate selected?
> • Who selects a delegate?
> • Is that left totally up to the local community?

Yes the argument presented by the draft's authors are that they are
considered entirely in-territory process.

> "Requirements relating to the script
> For purposes of the Fast Track a non-Latin script is considered to be a
> script which identifiers are represented with characters in Unicode not
> being ASCII, i.e. [a- z, 0-9]."
> • This definition may need to be refined.  As I read it, it could be
> interpreted to mean that German, Spanish and French are based on non-Latin
> scripts because they each have non-ASCII characters.

Good point.  Will address this with the group.

> 'Technical Requirements'
> • In the 1st & 7th bullets, what is meant by 'IDNA2008'?
> • Does it refer to the yet to be revised IDNA protocol?
> • If so, is it accurate to assume that fast track ccIDNs will not be
> introduced until the IDNA protocol revision is finished?

Good point.  I think it is anticipated that IDNA2008 will be completed by
that time, but I will ask the specific question.

> Implementation Questions
> • In reading this document, I can't help but think that implementing these
> recommendations is going to be complex and time-consuming not unlike
> implementation of the new gTLD recommendations.  Do you agree?

Yes I agree.  I also think it will require the board to potentially make
hard decisions if in fact comments or concerns are being raised with regards
to a particular Fast Track IDN ccTLD application.  The current process
provides the board with limited information from the community at large or
inter-territory issues to make or I think even consider such discussions.

> • Have there been any discussions about implementation?  How it would
> happen?  How long it might take?  etc.

The concept in brief is to have all preparations completed within the
corresponding territory, then a simple delegation request which would
require the two committees to "check" the application, and then have the
board decide on everything else.  Including the determination of whether an
application is in fact non-contentious.

That is an important reason for the on-going principle (i.e. those who are
ready can go first, but realistically it is a long process).

> Thanks for all of the time each of you are spending on this work.

Am continuing to try hard to bring up the issues and discuss, however, being
from the GNSO brings, it seems, a pre-determined bias that somehow the gTLDs
want to delay this process.  I find it some what discouraging to hear that
and continue to hope that the contributions are in fact positive even if it
means pointing out potential issues of the current design.

Edmon

> Chuck Gomes
On