[council] Re; Impovements plan - a comment on the compositon of the OSC

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Oct 10 05:21:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

My issue, one in which I was in a minority in the planning team,
concerns the membership of the GNSO Operations Steering Committee
(OSC) (page 12) .

It has been my belief that a representative of any constituency-in-
formation should be included in the OSC as an participating observer.
I define constituency-in-formation as one that has reached some status
as defined in the new constituency process where they are formal
candidates for acceptance.

I believe that once a serious group of organizers have declared
themselves publicly and have fulfilled what ever requirements for
candidacy are set, they will have incurred some degree of expectation
concerning the way constituency and stakeholder operations are
organized and will have prepared themselves for membership according
to those expectations.   If the operational structure is going to
change while they are in the application process, perhaps even change
in a way that is detrimental toward their membership possibilities,
they should have a voice in those deliberations.  This can best be
achieved by allowing them to participate in the steering Committee
meetings as observers.

I propose the following amendment to the plan:

In the section "Other Participants in the OSC" on page 12, add:

o 1 representative from any constituencies-in-formation formally
involved
     in the process of applying for inclusion in one of the GNSO
Stakeholder
     groups.   The definition of the new constituency process should
include
     the requirements that need to be met to achieve this status.

While a version of this was in the penultimate version of the draft,
it was removed during the final discussion on the plan at a meeting I
could not attend.

As the Planning team in effect rejected this language, I do not
believe it can accepted as a friendly amendment.  I will therefore
make it as a motion for amendment to the plan.  If it is seconded, we
will need to vote on the amendment before voting on the accepting the
plan itself.

thanks

a.