[council] Motion on Whois studies

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Sun Oct 19 13:11:04 UTC 2008

My opinion: there is very minimal chance that 'we would be in position
to take a vote on a motion to request funding information on studies'.

As I shared in our 16 Oct meeting, the RyC is in the process of
finalizing a very detailed analysis with recommendations for studies to
pursue further and we plan to submit that to the Council on 29 October.
It is possible that other constituencies or advisory groups or
individuals will have submitted recommendations by that time as well.
So I think our time in Cairo will be focused on reviewing and discussing
those submissions and mapping out an approach for identifying studies
for which we want Staff to prepare cost estimates.  But I believe it
will be a fairly involved process that we will not be able to complete
until after Cairo.

I do agree with assigning 'prominence to the item on the schedule' but I
do not believe we will be ready to make a decision.

Chuck