[council] Reminder to Councilors: Need to select SC reps

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Tue Oct 21 21:45:48 UTC 2008

In motion 4b - GNSO Improvements Implementation Plan (copied below),
passed unanimously by the Council on 16 October, note that we resolved
the following: "The GNSO Council requests that constituencies, NomCom
appointees, the ALAC and the GAC identify representatives to serve in
the two Standing Committees as defined in the Plan by 24 October 2008 if
possible, but not later than 31 October; Kickoff meetings of the
Standing Committees be held during the ICANN meetings in Cairo (1-7
November 2008) with teleconference capability for any who may not be
able to attend in-person."

This is a reminder to encourage constituencies and NomCom reps to
identify one representative for each of the two steering committees
[Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) and Operations Steering
Committee (OSC)].

ALAC and GAC liaisons are also encouraged to work within your
organizations to identify one representative for each of the two
steering committees.

Note that representatives do NOT have to be Councilors.

The first meetings of the two SCs are presently scheduled for Sunday, 2
November in Cairo as follows:

*	Separate and simultaneous meetings for the two SCs from 11:15 am
to 12:15 pm
*	A joint follow-up meeting from 15:30 to 16:30.

Assuming there are no objections:

*	Avri and I will serve in our capacity as Chair and Vice Chair
respectively on separate SCs: Avri will serve on the PPSC and I will
serve on the OSC.
*	It will be up to the SCs to select chairs but to facilitate the
kickoff meetings on 2 November, Avri and I will temporarily serve as
chairs.

If a representative is not able to attend the kickoff meetings, I
suggest that an alternative be identified who is able to attend.

If there are any questions, please ask.

Thanks, Chuck

Motion 4b.

Motion on GNSO Improvements Implementation Plan
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-improvements-implementation-plan-24sep
t08.pdf
<http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-improvements-implementation-plan-24se
pt08.pdf>

Motion: Chuck Gomes

Second: Avri Doria

Whereas:

The ICANN Board in resolution 2008.02.15.03

http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-15feb08.htm#_Toc64545918
<http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-15feb08.htm>

directed the ICANN Staff to "draft a detailed implementation plan in
consultation with the GNSO"

Such a plan was developed by the Planning Team composed of staff and
GNSO members working jointly and in cooperation

The ICANN board in resolution 2008.06.26.13

http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-26jun08.htm#_Toc76113182
<http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-26jun08.htm>

endorsed the recommendations of the Board Governance Committee's GNSO
Review Working Group

The ICANN board in its meeting on 1 October 2008
http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-01oct08.htm
<http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-01oct08.htm>

approved resolutions 6 through 15 relating to the recommendations of the
Board Governance Committee GNSO Working Group and the specific topic of
GNSO Council Restructuring,

Resolved:

The GNSO will develop a plan for GNSO Council restructuring
implementation that is separate and distinct from the GNSO Improvements
Implementation Plan as directed in resolution 2008.10.01.15
http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-01oct08.htm
<http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-01oct08.htm>

The GNSO Council approves the Framework defined in the GNSO Improvements
Implementation Plan dated 24 September 2008 as prepared by the GNSO
Improvements Planning Team as documented in
http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-improvements-implementation-plan-24sep
t08.pdf
<http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-improvements-implementation-plan-24se
pt08.pdf>

(as updated)

The GNSO Council requests that constituencies, NomCom appointees, the
ALAC and the GAC identify representatives to serve in the two Standing
Committees as defined in the Plan by 24 October 2008 if possible, but
not later than 31 October

Kickoff meetings of the Standing Committees be held during the ICANN
meetings in Cairo (1-7 November 2008) with teleconference capability for
any who may not be able to attend in-person.

Passed unanimously by voice vote