[council] RAA Amendments discussion

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed Sep 3 21:19:07 UTC 2008

Mike,

It is the responsibility of the GNSO to develop policy, not negotiate
contracts.  A community wide negotiations process would be a very
strange model and one that would be fraught with problems and likely
totally unfeasible.  Comment opportunities were provided as you indicate
and that is as it should be, but the negotiations process needs to be
between the contracting parties.

At the same time, if there are issues in the RAA that seem worthy of
policy development, we have procedures for that.  If consensus policy is
developed within the picket fence and approved by the Board, then
registries and registrars are required to implement them.  Therefore it
seems to me that the proper approach would be for the GNSO to focus on
specific policy issues rather than contract terms except for contract
terms that involve already established consensus policy and for which
compliance is in question.

Chuck