[council] Re: Draft Revisions to the ICANN Bylaws Relating to GNSO Restructure

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Apr 7 17:26:10 UTC 2009

From: Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>
Date: April 7, 2009 8:55:46 AM PDT
To: liaison6c <liaison6c at gnso.icann.org>
Cc: liaison6c <liaison6c at gnso.icann.org>, Council GNSO <council at gnso.icann.org
 >, Denise Michel <denise.michel at icann.org>
Subject: Re: Draft Revisions to the ICANN Bylaws Relating to GNSO
Restructure

Dear Denise,

We appreciate your attempt to elaborate on the position you've taken,
but in doing so you reinforce the view that you are no longer
operating as a facilitator of the GNSO reform process, but rather as a
dedicated advocate of a particular position.  I really don't
understand why you are involved in this discussion at this level.  It
is not your job to make policy decisions for the Board and it is not
our task to convince you personally of the desirability of a
particular GNSO structure.  It is rather an issue to be settled among
the stakeholders themselves and by the Board.  The Board has proposals
before it.  Let the Board decide whether it likes them or not.

Despite the length of your response, its substance can be boiled down
into two simple points:

1)	The GNSO Improvements Report indicates that constituencies should
remain an important part of the reformed GNSO;
2)	The Board has not given you specific instructions to change the
assignment of Council seats to constituencies.

Both of those points are true, yet neither justifies the position you
are taking.

1)	Constituencies can be an important and even central part of the
GNSO process without being guaranteed a specific number of Council
seats.  Please note that the NCSG charter we submitted actually makes
it easier to form constituencies - precisely because it detaches them
from Council seat assignments.  So in that respect, our proposal is
more in line with the GNSO Improvement Report's references to
"expanding Constituency involvement" and to "evening the playing
field" among constituencies.

2)	The absence of specific instructions applies in both directions.
We recognize that the Board has not told you to do what we are
proposing.  But we also know that the position we are advocating is
not ruled out by the GNSO Improvements Report, either.  This means is
it is an open issue.  We should debate it and discuss it among
ourselves, on the merits.  We have had many discussions with Board
members and none of them have suggested that what we are proposing is
inconsistent with the GNSO Improvements principles.

It is interesting that your responses keep ignoring the many, obvious
problems that are posed by hardwiring Council seats to
Constituencies.  These include: the difficulty of achieving balanced
geographic representation; the problem that occurs when the number of
constituencies exceeds the number of seats; the fact that forming new
constituencies becomes a zero-sum game that obstructs consensus.  That
is not an exhaustive list.  Also, you seem not to understand a
critical part of the BGC's recommendations, which is that working
groups - not the Council - will formulate policy.  It is the
development of consensus in WGs - not the representation of votes in a
legislative process - that is the objective of the Board's reforms.

We hope you will be able to recognize these problems, and allow the
stakeholder groups and the board the opportunity to work through the
issues in the "bottom up" process we read about in so many ICANN press
releases..  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robin Gross, NCUC Chair on behalf of NCUC Executive Committee and GNSO
Council:
Norbert Klein
Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza
Mary Wong
William Drake
Carlos Afonso
Horacio Cadiz
Georg Greve
Robert Guerra
Dave Kissoondoyal

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj