[council] RAA Drafting Team

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 17 13:36:04 UTC 2009

I need to leave for the day in a few minutes, so this will be brief.
I could likely support an initiative like this. But I thought that we
were implementing what was referred to in the new RAA 3.15:

3.15 In the event that ICANN gives reasonable notice to Registrar
that ICANN has
published a webpage that identifies available registrant rights and
responsibilities, and the
content of such webpage is developed in consultation with registrars,
Registrar shall
provide a link to the webpage on any website it may operate for
domain name registration
or renewal clearly displayed to its Registered Name Holders at least
as clearly as its links
to policies or notifications required to be displayed under ICANN
Consensus Policies.

This is far less ambitious than what Philip has described. Also, his
point 2 may create a set of expectations (that is, asking users for
everything that they would like to see in the RAA to satisfy them)
that we will not likely meet in the creation of a Charter (and I
agree with Bill that the name needs to stay).

Of course, the more we can get into this charter, the more pleased I
and ALAC will be.

I agree that it is important to quickly come to an agreement on the
scope of what we are doing under the "charter" section of the motion
passed by Council, and what really belongs in the "future RAA
amendments" section.

Alan