[council] Discussion around face 2 face meetings

Denise Michel denise.michel at icann.org
Thu Dec 3 07:45:19 UTC 2009

Dear Stéphane,

Thank you for your email about the proposed PDP Work Team's face-to-face
meeting.  You raise some useful questions and points and I'll try to address
each one.

   - You mention a "trend towards more F2F meetings," but actually the trend
   is away from F2F if you look at the GNSO's practice in the last several
   years.  I have only received one request for an ICANN-supported, in-person
   meeting from a GNSO working group/committee.  In previous years, the GNSO
   Council met in person several times to address new gTLD policy work.  As
   part of new gTLD implementation efforts, ICANN has funded some limited
   working meetings this year, but these were separate from policy development
   and the GNSO, and were supported in response to a unique Board mandate.

   - Regarding the concerns the Registrars raised about this face-to-face
   meeting, it may be helpful to keep in mind that:

   1. This request is not related to any particular PDP.  The work of the
      PDP Work Team is addressing the Board's GNSO Improvements Report
request to
      revise the policy development process.
      2. Although a face-to-face meeting may have been discussed by the STI,
      there are no other recent or pending requests that Staff is aware of for
      ICANN-supported policy meetings.
      3. Staff would welcome input and guidance from the PPSC (in this case)
      and the Council on this proposed meeting.  However, the decision
to provide
      ICANN support is not a unilateral one of a work team (as
suggested), but a
      question of travel funding for Staff to consider.  In the near
future, Staff
      will be soliciting Council input on ICANN's budget and operating plan for
      the next fiscal year as done in the past, but with increased emphasis on
      estimating specific SO funding needs such as this one earlier on in the
      planning cycle.  We do want to encourage the Council to play a
more active
      role in forecasting budgetary and resource requirements on an
annual basis,
      and to help ICANN use fees wisely and maintain the appropriate budget
      levels.
      4. ICANN agreed to provide some travel support for a limited number of
      PDP Work Team participants to enable significant progress to be made on
      developing a new policy development process.  I think there is a
strong case
      to be made that this is a unique and compelling need and that important
      goals can be met.  Objectives and a suggested agenda have been
provided for
      this meeting.
      5. Staff does not view this meeting as a new "emphasis on face-to-face
      meetings," but rather a one-off event. Teleconferences, email lists and
      webcasts will continue to be the  basis for ICANN's policy development
      activities.

Thanks, again, for the input on this important matter.

Denise

Denise Michel
ICANN Vice President
Policy Development