[council] Motion re RAA Amendments

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Feb 22 11:14:21 UTC 2009

Mike,

I am wondering, to what extent this is true:

> Whereas, the Council wishes to approve the non-contentious, proposed
> amendments agreed between Staff and the Registrars Constituency as
> quickly as possible so that the ICANN Board may review them, and if
> approved then implement them as quickly as possible.

I do not believe we have made a decision that we "wish to approve the
non-contentious ...".  Would support of this motion in some sense imply
that this was the case?  I do not believe that the whereas statement in
a motion should determine the future action of the council. If this is
what the council supports after all viewpoints have been heard, then we
should make such a decision specifically.  It should also be noted, that
I do not believe that such a decision would have any binding effect on
the Board but would only serve as an advisory in their decision making
unless we initiated a PDP on issues deemed within the picket fence based
on the outcome of the WG and an ensuing issues report.

My assumption is that this working group, if formed, would discuss the
four issues you have outlined and make a recommendation to council and
that this discussion, conclusions and recommendations would be then be
discussed in council.  At that point, the council would need to decide
what it wished to do with those recommendations.

Is that the same assumption you have?

thanks

a.