[council] IDN gTLD Fast Track discussion

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Fri Mar 20 18:04:25 UTC 2009

Personally, if there can be a fast-track for so-called ccTLD IDNs I
don't see why there can't be one for gTLD IDNs. But the only way I
really see it working is if it only applied to existing gTLDs, the same
way the current fast-track applies to existing ccTLDs. Neither should be
for completely new concepts. Is that what you intended Edmon?

Some other issues I see:

1. How many languages would each gTLD be able to fast-track?
2. Does everyone agree on what each gTLD stands for? For example, is
.com for commercial, commerce, or company?
3. How will potential conflicts be resolved, between .biz and .com for
example?

I think those are solvable problems. And if the true goal of the
fast-track is to meet "pressing needs" and "near-term demand" for IDN
domain names, why not include the existing gTLDs for IDNs that can
clearly be indentified as applying to them and would clearly generate
objections if anyone else tried to apply for them? Why would or should
it be limited to ccTLDs?

Tim