[council] IDN gTLD Fast Track discussion

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Mar 20 23:34:38 UTC 2009

Hello Chuck,

> I can't speak for Bruce but I suspect his 'other' category is
> the 'open' category.  The Guidebook doesn't actually treat
> 'geographic' as a class in the same sense as
> 'community-based' or 'open' gTLD but Staff has expanded the
> restrictions on geographic names beyond what the GNSO
> recommended and there is still discussions between the Board
> and the GAC, but I think that mainly concerns 2nd-level
> geographic names.

Yes that is right.   From memory the GNSO never really created an "open"
category.  But when you read the guidebook there are effectively three
categories being discussed - ie there are different rules that apply to
those three categories.    This is apparent because the requirements to
complete the application are different (e.g for geo names you need to
provide a letter from the relevant public authority etc).

I don't believe that adding more categories in this round actually makes
anything go faster - each category typically kicks off a year or more of
discussion.

Regards,
Bruce