[council] FW: Doodle IDNG call

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Mon May 4 07:25:26 UTC 2009

I think all of us can understand where Adrian is coming from here. Being in
Australia, he suffers some insane meeting times and this undoubtedly reduces
his ability to participate in the GNSO processes as much as he would like.
Being based in Europe, I also have late evening (but thankfully not early
morning) meeting times.

So I agree with the initial suggestion that call times are not solely
arranged according to majority doodle votes, are these are necessarily
geographically weighed and if you have 10 participants and 8 of them are
from the US, the other 2 will not have much say.

I think Chuck makes some very good initial suggestions and I agree that we
need to consider this question of meeting organisation at Council level as
they impact all our working groups and drafting teams.

I would like to suggest that, for those meetings where some participants
have to suffer unpleasant hours, we restrict meeting times to no more than
one hour. I know that it's sometimes difficult to keep things concise, but
when you're on a call early in the morning or late at night, it seems
unreasonable to also require of you to sit through a couple of hours of
discussion and still provide valuable input.

I do feel that it's not just the times at which these meetings are held
which is a problem, but also the sheer number of these calls that are
required and their length.

Stéphane