[council] ICANN Comment periods due soon after Seoul

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 7 04:03:24 UTC 2009

In reviewing open ICANN comment periods with the
ALAC officers today, we were somewhat taken aback
by the number and importance of ICANN comment
periods that had just opened in the last several
days and are scheduled to end soon after the Seoul meeting.

Posted 01 Oct,  Due 01 Nov,   Expedited Registry Security Request (ERSR)
Posted 02 Oct,  Due 06 Nov,   Domain Names
Registered Using a Privacy or Proxy Service
Posted 05 Oct,  Due 04 Nov,   NomCom Review ­ Draft Working Group Report
Posted 05 Oct,  Due 04 Nov,   SSAC Review ­ Draft Working Group Report
Posted 05 Oct,  Due 04 Nov,   Board Review ­ Draft Final Working Group Report

Although we seemed to recall that a commitment
had been made to not "count" the time during an
ICANN meeting against one month comment periods,
that is clearly not being done here. For the
Seoul meeting, many of us will spend 7-8 business
days in transit or at the meeting, significantly
cutting into the time available to comment.

And we noted that although all of these topics
are quite important, only the ERSR one could
really be viewed as very time-sensitive.

The ALAC will likely request a 2 week extension
on all five comment periods. The GNSO Council may
wish to consider a similar move.

Alan