[council] ICANN Comment periods due soon after Seoul

Liz Gasster liz.gasster at icann.org
Wed Oct 7 19:55:57 UTC 2009

All,

Yes, the Council passed the following motion in Cairo --

Mike Rodenbaugh, seconded by Zahid Jamil and Kristina Rosette proposed a motion on the extension of Public Comment Periods during ICANN meetings

Whereas, ICANN's meetings require the full attention of GNSO Councilors and many other GNSO participants.
Whereas, ICANN has many ongoing public comment periods of significant interest to many GNSO Councilors and participants.
Whereas, ICANN's typical comment periods are already difficult for many members of the ICANN community, particularly those that must consult with members of their Constituency and/or member organization(s).

RESOLVED:

The GNSO Council strongly urges ICANN Staff to extend, for seven days, any public comment periods which overlap with any of the seven days of an ICANN meeting.
Motion passed with one abstention from Adrian Kinderis (two votes)

Policy Staff have been mindful of this practice for comment forums that we are coordinating directly and we do recognize the challenge this can present.  We will again convey your concerns and urge that, especially with the large amount of work underway, adjustments should be made wherever possible.

Thanks, Liz