[council] Debra Y. Hughes: Statement of Interest

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Wed Oct 14 08:03:15 UTC 2009

Forwarded from Debra Y. Hughes: Statement of Interest

Debra Y. Hughes - Statement of Interest - 13 October 2009
Non Commercial Stakeholder Group Board Appointee to the GNSO Council

I am Senior Counsel for the American National Red Cross.  The American National Red Cross is a non-profit organization and one of the 186 member national societies of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the world's largest humanitarian organization that provides assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions.  In addition, the American National Red Cross distinguishes itself by feeding and providing emotional support to victims of disasters; processing and distributing lifesaving blood and blood products; offering educational programs that promote health and safety; providing international humanitarian aid; and supporting military members and their families.

To further that mission, I draft fundraising, sponsorship and grant agreements; advise the organization on various matters related to its delivery of humanitarian services; and provide advice related to patent, copyright, trademark and publicity concerns.  I also work closely with the organization's information security team to develop policies and strategies to leverage the organization's domain portfolio and to handle online abuse and fraud related issues.  For example, I assist with managing the unfortunate number of phishing and fraudulent fundraising scams that target the organization's clients and beneficiaries.

I hope my work with the GNSO will increase the voice and participation of non-profit and philanthropic organizations in ICANN because these organizations rely upon the Internet and domain name system to communicate with the public about their mission and services, to distribute educational and lifesaving information, and to collect donations to support their operations in a reliable, secure and safe environment.

I have no financial or any relevant interests in ICANN or the GNSO.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
http://gnso.icann.org