[council] Council wide Nominations are closed - Part 2 Each House determines a Candidate

Terry L Davis, P.E. tdavis2 at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 16 20:13:36 UTC 2009

Avri

I'm probably ok with your proposal, certainly on letting the Council vote on
the open-closed ballot issue; if we decide to close the ballot, the final
process may need a little discussion in Council.  I will have to think about
Alan's suggestion on absentee balloting in light of the actual attendance in
Seoul; having just suffered through a week of flu, things don't always occur
as planned.

I will add a personal view, with an open ballot on group leadership and in a
close ballot which I expect this to be; it could possibly change how the
ballot comes out.  Maybe for the best, but my 25 years serving on public
planning/development/land-use commissions is that it is not usually the
best.  Kristina already mentioned potential personal conflicts as a result
of an open ballot which I've seen before.  In my case as an NCA, I have
little concern that way but likely for some SG members and possibly
candidates, it may make for a hard decision.  All items I have read over the
years and my experience, shows that a percentage of folks will vote
differently, especially when selecting leaders, whether the ballot is open
or closed due to the external and personal pressures that then exist.

Now that said, I would have a very hard time voting to hold closed votes on
almost anything other than leadership selection that comes to mind; in fact
nothing does at the moment.

Take care

Terry