[council] Council wide Nominations are closed - Part 2 Each House determines a Candidate

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Oct 19 10:43:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

As I mentioned when my plan for an open ballot was
first opposed, I will hold a vote on closing the ballot
just before you all vote for chair.  That is why the
secret ballot is being set up provisionally.

I have asked Glen to prepare paper ballots, just in case,
the motion to close the vote succeeds.  I have also asked her
to look into means for dealing with any absentee ballots in
case not all council members can be in Seoul for the meeting;
this includes investigating how quickly the standard email
vote can be turned around.  I am hoping everyone will be
there so that this complexity can be avoided.

I have yet to speak to Legal about the legitimacy of just counting
ballots before receiving absentee to see whether the absentee
are necessary to declare a winner.  I know the absentee ballots
would be essential in figuring out a leader in case we need to
do a runoff given the formula by which we will need to calculate
the leader.

I hope this covers the questions.

a.