[council] Re: [offlist] Status/report from ACSO meeting

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Wed Sep 2 09:49:49 UTC 2009

Avri, Chuck,

Agree with the both of you that this is not a particular useful topic to
have at the ACSO meeting as it will just be a slugging match between the
gTLD pros and cons.

I don't see who would be able to give factual information on consumer demand
for new gTLDs, so it would just be everyone voicing their opinion. That's
exactly what has been happening for the last couple of years anyway so in
what way would such a session be productive?

Plus I have to say I find the GAC's attitude surprising ("either run our
topic or we're not coming!"). I felt at the previous two ACSO sessions they
were very supportive of the whole concept and very open about it. Any idea
why the apparent change of attitude?

As for possible topic choices, this session being an opportunity for a
get-together between the various committees and organisations that make up
ICANN and that ensure that ICANN can actually function, I would think it
would be more useful to have folks discuss ways to improve the ICANN, ACs
and SOs processes.

As these are brainstorming sessions, I think we can be quite daring in our
choices of topics.

How about something like: "with volunteer burnout becoming a pressing
problem, should ICANN look into remuneration possibilities for AC and SO
council and excom members?"

I'm sure most people would be against this (I certainly am), but it would
give people an opportunity to explain why and what their take on being
involved in the ICANN process is.

Just an idea...

Stéphane