[council] GNSO Council meet and greet?

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Sep 17 09:09:14 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm of course fine with the dinner, but like Avri and Mary question
the advisability of starting the week with an airing of grievances (or
as Adrian put it, pet hates).  While such a ritual is mandatory for
kicking off a Festivus (who'd bring the pole?), for a GNSO meeting it
strikes me as singularly awful institutional design, particularly
now.  It will foul the air, not clear it, and set us off on the wrong
course with conflicts foremost in our minds at a meeting when we're
supposedly launching a new and improved collaboration people worked
long and hard to devise.  And what a delightful way to welcome the new
councilors, sure to inspire---it'll be like joining a meeting of the
Human Rights Council, but without the decorum.  Scholars and
practitioners of healthy negotiations and collaborations would advise
precisely the opposite model, i.e. starting with the low hanging fruit
of shared concerns and objectives, building trust and confidence, and
then moving on to the tough stuff.  But of course, that presumes the
objective is to get to yes, rather than to settle scores.

In any event, if this is what everyone really wants to do, ok we'll
play. NCUC has plenty of grievances, probably more than most, and if
required we can rise to the occasion.  In this context, I would agree
with all those who favor inclusion of constituency officers.

I am however implacably opposed to doing this off the record.  If
people have something to say, let's do it in a manner that is
transparent and accountable to our constituencies, the larger ICANN
"community," and the real world beyond.  Kicking off the era of the
new GNSO, post-NTIA decision, with a closed conclave would be rather
insular signaling.

Greetings from a very collegial and multistakeholder IGF meeting,
where inter alia some people are discussing the possible creation of a
new dynamic coalition on ICANN accountability.

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance