[council] IT Failure to Support GNSO Council Session on August 5

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Fri Aug 6 15:33:20 UTC 2010

Dear members of the ICANN community,

As many of you may know, ICANN is striving to provide greater access to its GNSO Council meetings by allowing both Councilors and other participants to view and listen to the proceedings via Adobe Connect online.  Despite our best efforts to provide seamless access, we failed to provide a complete service for yesterday's GNSO Council meeting and we know it was a tremendous disadvantage for many of you.  I apologize to you on behalf of ICANN.  Due to a failure of our IT Department to provide adequate redundancy we were unable to offer the audio portion of the meeting.

We will provide you with a full explanation of why the service failed along with detailed information on the changes that will ensure that we will not have this problem in future meetings.  I will follow up with you as soon as I am satisfied that the proper management controls are in place to prevent this failure in the future.

Thank you.

Best regards,

David Olive
Vice President, Policy Development, ICANN