[council] Preliminary Report of ICANN Board meeting 19 February 2010
Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Feb 19 06:36:02 UTC 2010
The Board decided to reconfirm the meeting in Nairobi, but authorised additional funding for enhancing remote participation. This funding is intended for things like additional staff to monitor the audio/video feeds, etc.
So far it looks like nearly all the Board will attend. I have only heard of one liaison so far that can't attend.
Preliminary Report of Special Board Meeting
19 February 2010
[Formal Minutes are still to be approved by the ICANN Board]
Note: This has not been approved by the Board and does not constitute minutes but does provide a preliminary attempt setting forth the unapproved reporting of the resolutions from that meeting. Details on voting and abstentions will be provided in the Board's Minutes, when approved by the board at a future meeting.
A Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors was held via teleconference 19 February 2010 @ 03.00 UTC. Chairman Peter Dengate Thrush promptly called the meeting to order.
In addition to Chairman Peter Dengate Thrush the following Directors participated in all or part of the meeting: Rod Beckstrom (President and CEO), Dennis Jennings (Vice Chairman), Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Raimundo Beca, Steve Crocker, Rita Rodin Johnston, Raymond A. Plzak, Rajasekhar Ramaraj, George Sadowsky, Mike Silber, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Bruce Tonkin, and Katim Touray. Gonzalo Navarro sent his apologies.
The following Board Liaisons participated in all or part of the meeting: Janis Karklins, GAC Liaison; Ram Mohan, SSAC Liaison; Thomas Narten, IETF Liaison; Jonne Soininen, TLG Liaison; Vanda Scartezini, ALAC Liaison; and Suzanne Woolf, RSSAC Liaison.
This is a preliminary report of the approved resolutions resulting from the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, which took place on 19 February 2010.
Discussion regarding Upcoming ICANN International Meeting
Rod Beckstrom, Doug Brent and Geoff Bickers led a presentation to the Board on the following topics relating to the upcoming International Meeting in Nairobi:
a) the additional measures taken by the Kenyan hosts and ICANN to enhance security;
b) the current registration and cancellation figures, particularly noting those who have declared they will not attend;
c) the full agenda planned for the meeting, with a commitment to move ahead on relevant decisions;
d) the demands and challenges to providing enhanced remote participation tools, to support those who will not be able to attend in person; the need for ongoing monitoring of the security situation;
and, e) the ongoing communication with the community.
The Board then took the following action:
Review of Plans for ICANN's 37th International Meeting in Nairobi
Whereas, the ICANN Board approved holding its 2010 Africa meeting in Nairobi during its May 2009 Board Meeting (see resolution 2009.05.21.09);
Whereas, the ICANN Board has reconfirmed its commitment to hold the 37th International Meeting in Nairobi, during its January 2010 Board Meeting (see resolution 2010.01.22.01);
Whereas, ICANN has continued to receive external information and questions regarding security and has conducted internal reviews and external reviews of the current security conditions following on from recent events in Nairobi;
Resolved (2010.02.18.01), the ICANN Board has reviewed and confirms the plans for its upcoming 37th International ICANN Meeting in Nairobi;
Resolved (2010.02.18.02), the ICANN Board directs the CEO to continue to communicate widely with the community and provide information regarding the meeting;
Resolved (2010.02.18.03), the ICANN Board directs the CEO to report back to the ICANN Board following the 37th International Meeting on the use of the adjustments and approaches relating to enhancement of ICANN's meetings.
10 Board members voted in favor of the resolutions. One board member voted against the resolutions, and three abstained from voting. One Board member was not available to vote on the resolution. The resolution carried.
Following on from a board member suggestion to withhold cost information while the Nairobi meeting is still being prepared and planned, the board members also approved a resolution to redact one resolution (2010.02.02.18.04) from the preliminary report until after the Nairobi meeting. The redacted resolution was regarding specific funding authorization for enhanced public participation. General Counsel & Secretary, John Jeffrey agreed that this redaction could be made consistent with Article III, Section 5, Paragraph 2 of the ICANN Bylaws, thus allowing the amount to be withheld until the arrangements are made and the resolution can be posted in the formal minutes of this meeting.
Staff will continue to communicate widely with the community regarding the Nairobi meeting in line with the Board's direction and guidance.
Meeting adjourned 4.35 UTC.
More information about the council