[council] AoC RT Endorsement Process, Motion, and Amendments

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Mon Jun 14 08:17:02 UTC 2010

Hello,

It seems there are two levels to this discussion.  The broader one concerns the nature and role of the Council.  Kristina argues that the Council " has been greatly restricted in the restructuring and the initially proposed mechanism goes beyond that role," and that "having a slightly more complicated process at the SG level is far preferable to having the Council take on an SG role and make nominations independent of the community."  I wasn't around when the veterans among us were having the constitutional discussions leading to Council reform, so I guess I'm not sufficiently clueful on how everyone sees this.  While I understand that Council is now supposed to be more a coordinator/facilitator of community processes than the doer of all things, I did not take this to mean that it cannot legitimately make decisions via votes on matters like adding a person or two to enhance the diversity of the GNSO's RT nominations because that would be acting independently of the community.  I thought we were elected to represent our respective slices of the community and after consulting with them could act in their names, and if they don't like what we've done we get unelected in the next cycle.  So then what decisions can we take that do not constitute acting independently of the community, where's the boundary line?  If I'm the only one who is perplexed I hope someone will straighten me out in Brussels...

Anyway, on the issue at hand, Chuck your understanding of the drafting team's proposal is not different from everyone else's.  The text clearly says "The Council will consider the resulting list of up to four nominees at its next teleconference.  If the list does not meet the above mentioned diversity objectives, the Council as a whole may choose to endorse up to two additional candidates..."  Two additional is additive, not substitutive.  To my knowledge, the notion that after considering diversity options the Council would endorse only four (Kristina's Step 2, below) is new, it wasn't included in the amendment language she sent to the list (quoted at the bottom) and I don't recall anyone suggesting it on the call.  From my standpoint, this is even more problematic than what we were talking about previously.  It would either a) astronomically politicize the process by raising the prospect that Council could overturn SG's one-per endorsements, leading to inter-SG squabbling over whose gets dumped and associated bad feelings...and talk about undercutting SG sovereignty!; or b) create really strong disincentives to do anything to enhance diversity in order to avoid that scenario.

The whole point of the drafting team proposal was to make the process simple and apolitical, driven in large part by the fact that the ATRT model with the two competitive seats appeared to generate a lot of confusion and agitation within one SG in Nairobi.  This proposal would plunge us far in the opposite direction.

Circling back to what we were talking about yesterday, the text below that Kristina sent Thursday during the call says, "the Council as a whole may choose to endorse up to two additional candidates, from among those identified by the stakeholder groups under item 2."  That plainly means only those identified by the stakeholder groups under item 2, there's no misunderstanding here.  In yesterday's message she instead proposes what Chuck suggested on the call, that the rest of the pool could in fact be considered, but only after Council has discussed SGs' back-up endorsements.  This is better from the standpoint of those of us who think Council should be able to consider the whole pool, but as I said yesterday it's not obvious why we would need to legislate what we would undoubtedly do anyway based on common sense and courtesy.  But if it makes folks happier....While we're at it, maybe we should also codify the precise sequence of the discussion, i.e. the order in which SG back-ups get considered and the time allotted to each?

Best,

Bill

On Jun 14, 2010, at 6:24 AM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> All this makes me think that my understanding may be different than everyone else.   I understood that endorsements by the SGs would remain regardless of what the Council might do to improve diversity.  If the Council was successful at gaining support for one or two candidates that improved the diversity of the pool, then the pool of endorsed candidates would increase to 5 or 6 depending on whether one or two additional candidates were selected.  The difference as I understood it between what Kristina proposed and the original procedure, which is apparently wrong, was that the step in the original procedures the Council would look at the full slate of candidates seeking GNSO endorsement while what I thought Kristina suggested was that the Council would first look at SG named alternates first and only if that was unsuccessful would they look at the full slate of candidates seeking GNSO endorsement.
>
> Chuck

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance