[council] FW: Proposal to form a Joint ALAC - GNSO WG "to develop a sustainable approach to providing support to applicants requiring assistance in applying for and operating new gTLDs" in response to the ICANN Board Resolution 20 at the Nairobi Meeti

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sat Mar 20 05:41:06 UTC 2010

Hello Chuck,

> This is interesting Bruce.  I had no idea that this motion was talking
> about financial support;

Well the focus of much of the public comment has been for the Board to
reduce the application fees for developing countries.

The Board instead is saying that there are other ways of solving the
issue of participation - and left it open for the community to put
forward some proposals.   It was my input (which I also stated during
the Board meeting) - that it is not just financial support that may
help, but also support in terms of resources.   I gave the example that
in the past, many smaller ccTLDS used secondary nameservers operated by
larger ccTLDS in developed countries at no cost.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin