[council] Topic for Senegal Board-GNSO Council Meeting

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Wed Jul 20 13:25:12 UTC 2011

Thanks Bruce. I think the concerns I expressed in Singapore, and some of
those of others, relates to transparency, accountability, and
institutional confidence as well as good governance. We don't know all
the facts in regards to Peter's situation, but as it appears now on the
surface it seems there would be a good case for someone to file for
Indepedent Review of the Board decisions in Singapore related to new
gTLDs. That would be unfortunate, especially if it turns out that it
could all have been avoided by a simple disclosure of potential
conflicts.

In any event, I agree that it may be helpful to review the existing
documents you mention and offer comments/advice on how to improve them
to avoid this type of situation.

I am also still concerned about what internal policies are in place to
protect against undue influence when the door revolves (people moving
back and forth between Staff/Board and the community), especially as it
applies to contracted parties. I don't really care that Peter went to
work for M&M, but I do care about what protection there is from Peter
using his connections and previous position to influence Staff or Board.
IMO, there should be clear guidelines on how/when current Staff/Board
interacts with Ex-Staff and Ex-Board and making sure that when/if it
occurs it is disclosed. I think the same should be true in reverse,
although some of the protections may be somewhat different.

And as was also discussed in Singapore, there is a real danger of
ICANN's Staff being recruited by the parties it is contracted with. Is
it time that ICANN minimize this potential? It is fairly standard for
two contracted parties in the USA to agree not to actively recruit each
others staff during the term of the agreement. That seems like a
reasonable approach to me.

Tim