[council] Topics for our Singapore meetings

Stéphane Van Gelder stephane.vangelder at indom.com
Wed Jun 8 15:55:23 UTC 2011

All,

We are still missing suggestions for topics for our 3 main meetings with other groups in Singapore. Those meetings are with the Board, the GAC and the ccNSO.

As discussed in previous email threads on this list, so far only the Board and ccNSO meetings look certain for Singapore.

To get the ball rolling, I would like to suggest some topics for those 2 meetings.

ccNSO
- ICANN budget. The ccNSO has a working team looking at the ICANN budget and I think it would be very useful for both SOs to share that experience. I have discussed this with Lesley (ccNSO Chair) and she sees value in it as well. The idea is not to start up the old discussion about ccTLD contributions, but instead to benefit from the ccNSO's work on the proposed ICANN budget for the coming FY. The issue being that we are all so swamped with documents and reports that we have no time to look at this all-important budget. The ccNSO's work team can help us identify the key issues.

- ccTLDs becoming registrars. This may not interest everyone and is just a suggestion, but we might want to discuss what ccTLD operators plans are with regards to possibly becoming gTLD registries, as some have already mentioned an interest in running gTLDs as registries (mostly geo TLDs in their regions).

Board
- CWGs. I think this is a discussion we need to continue to have with the Board, if only to update them on the recent discussions we've had amongst ourselves.

- GNSO/Board interact. This is changing, at the Board's initiative. We should perhaps touch on how useful we've found our dinners and interaction with the Board in the past.

Once again, these are just suggestions. The idea is to make some headway on this, as past requests from Mary and Glen for topic ideas have yielded very little response.

Thanks,

Stéphane