[council] Fwd: ICANN Summit on Developing Countries - Invitation to a preparatory meeting in Singapore

Katim S. Touray kstouray at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 16:05:33 UTC 2011

Hi Stéphane,

I just sent an e-mail to Bill suggesting that the SOs and ACs can briefly
discuss the prep meeting during their meetings earlier in the week to select
their delegates and their positions on the issues to be discussed.  At any
rate, I am looking forward to seeing all of you in Singapore!  Safe travels!


2011/6/9 Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder at indom.com>

> Thanks Bill.
> You are where I was going in my previous email to the Council on this (on
> which I had copied Katim). You will notice I had not picked up on the 2 reps
> idea. This was on purpose, simply because at this late stage it seems
> unworkable for the GNSO Council. So I simply stopped at informing the
> Council that the meeting was now open. As usual, individuals are welcome to
> speak for themselves, and people generally have no problem making that
> position clear before they make a comment.
> Thanks,
> Stéphane
> Le 9 juin 2011 à 08:24, William Drake a écrit :
> Hi Katim, et al,
> Sorry i'm a little behind on mail…
> I'm happy that this meeting has been moved to a congenial time and made
> open, at least to the first 35 contestants.  But I wonder about the notion
> of "having two official representatives per SO/AC to speak and vote on
> behalf of their communities."   In the case of the GNSO though, I don't see
> how anyone could try to speak for the Council on a matter it's never
> discussed and on which SG views may vary.  Won't other SO/ACs have similar
> issues?  Moreover, this would create a two-class system in the room, which
> might not be the best way to energize everyone to contribute going forward.
>  And rough consensus might be more appropriate in this context than
> voting...
> Whatever you decide, I wouldn't plan on two members showing up with a
> mandate to speak for the Council.  Nevertheless, I hope that as elected SG
> reps, Council attendees will be able to participate fully in the
> discussion...
> Best,
> Bill
> On Jun 6, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Stéphane Van Gelder wrote:
> Councillors,
> Please find below a follow-up email from Katim on the ISDC meeting planned
> for Singapore.
> I am very grateful to Katim for having taken into account all of the GNSO's
> concerns with the meeting as initially planned.
> Conflicts have been avoided as best they could and the number of
> Councillors able to participate is no longer restricted.
> Stéphane
> Début du message réexpédié :
> *De : *"Katim S. Touray" <kstouray at gmail.com>
> *Date : *5 juin 2011 20:57:14 HAEC
> *À : *Louie Lee <louie at louie.net>, Stéphane Van Gelder <
> stephane.vangelder at indom.com>, Lesley Cowley <lesley at nominet.org.uk>,
> Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>, Patrik Fältström <
> pfaltstr at cisco.com>, Jun Murai <jun at wide.ad.jp>, Reinhard Scholl <
> reinhard.scholl at itu.int>, Thomas Narten <narten at us.ibm.com>, Heather
> Dryden <heather.dryden at ic.gc.ca>, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
> *Cc : *ICANN Board of Directors <icann-board at icann.org>
> *Objet : **Rép : ICANN Summit on Developing Countries - Invitation to a
> preparatory meeting in Singapore*
> Dear all,
> This is to follow up on your responses to the invitation I sent out a few
> weeks back about the preparatory meeting on the ICANN Summit on Developing
> Countries (ISDC).  First of all, I would like to say a big "Thanks!" to the
> many of you and members of your communities that have responded positively
> to the idea of having the ISDC.
> Secondly, I would like to offer my sincere apologies to all of you for my
> late delay in getting back to you with regards to the issues raised in some
> of your responses to my invitation.  The main reason for my delay in
> replying was that I wanted to first clear up the issue of the date for the
> meeting, given the clear conflicts that would have been caused by having the
> meeting on Sun., June 19, as initially proposed.  I'm glad to that that
> matter has now been resolved.
> The main issues raised, and proposed solutions to them are as follows:
>    1. *Meeting Date:*  We are now scheduled to have our meeting from 12:30
>    to 14:00 in the VIP Lounge on Wedns., June 22 (
>    http://singapore41.icann.org/node/24793).  We now have a spot (
>    http://singapore41.icann.org/full-schedule) that conflicts with only
>    one workshop and an all day ccNSO members meeting. Please note that our slot
>    is during what would be a lunch break for other participants.
>    2. *Admission:* The meeting is now open, so we don't get into the
>    problem of having to deny entrance to those genuinely interested in helping
>    out.
>    3. *Participation:* I suggest we still maintain the formula of having
>    two official representatives per SO/AC to speak and vote on behalf of their
>    communities. So we still would have roughly the same number of official
>    representatives, along with some board members we were planning on having.
> Other issues I would like to mention are:
>    1. *Venue:*  The venue has a capacity of 35, so please come early to
>    get a seat.  There will also be simultaneous interpretation into French and
>    Spanish. I understand we will also have facilities to support remote
>    participants
>    2. *Agenda:*  I have prepared a draft agenda, as shown in the attached
>    meeting backgrounder document.  I propose we run a tight ship so we can get
>    through the agenda effectively, and efficiently. The attached document also
>    includes a proposed work plan for preparing for the Summit, and terms of
>    reference for resource persons preparing the discussion papers.
>    3. *Chair:*  I propose we decide before the meeting who's going to
>    Chair it.  We can have the discussion online, and toward that and other
>    ends, I have requested that a mailing list be set up.  I will let you know
>    the details when I it has been, if we indeed get it!
>    4. *Everything's Draft:*  You are more than welcome to comment on the
>    contents of the attached prep meeting backgrounder.  I only prepared it to
>    help us have a successful meeting, and plan the ISDC better.
>    5. *Mandate:*  This invitation and indeed the proposal is NOT, and
>    should NOT be construed as an official communication from the Board of
>    Directors of ICANN.  Although I have presented the idea at various times to
>    the board and its Public Participation Committee meetings, a formal decision
>    has not yet been taken on the matter. Please accept my sincere apologies if
>    you had the impression that the ICANN Board has officially signed off on
>    this idea.
>    6. *Distribution:*  Finally, I would like to say that I would
>    appreciate it if you can kindly share this with your community mailing lists
>    to spread the word, and get feedback on the proposals presented.
> Again, thanks so much again for all your support, and safe travels to
> Singapore!
> Sincerely,
> Katim
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Katim S. Touray <kstouray at gmail.com>wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I am writing to invite you to send two representatives from your
>> SO/AC/group to attend a preparatory meeting to help organize a proposed
>> ICANN Summit on Developing Countries.
>> A number of ICANN stakeholders, and myself, have been having online
>> discussions since early last month about having an ICANN Summit on
>> Developing Countries.  The attached file is the original proposal for the
>> Summit, which is aimed at providing the ICANN community an opportunity to
>> have an in-depth discussion on developing countries, their role in ICANN,
>> and the way forward.
>> In view of the fact that the Oct. 2011 ICANN annual public meeting will be
>> held in Dakar, Senegal, the aim is to have the Summit there.  The Summit
>> will include presentations and discussions on the following topics:
>>    1. A backgrounder on developing countries (what is a "developing
>>    country" or "least developed country," socio-economic development in these
>>    countries, Internet and ICT development in these countries)
>>    2. ICANN and developing countries (ICANN's relationship with ccTLDs,
>>    international organizations of developing countries, governments, NGOs, and
>>    businesses in developing countries, etc)
>>    3. Participation of Developing Countries in ICANN: Challenges,
>>    Opportunities, and the Way Forward
>> The meeting in Singapore will have about 20 or so invitees from the SOs,
>> ACs, liaisons, other stakeholders, as well as some ICANN board members and
>> staff.  The tentative agenda for the Singapore meeting will consist of
>> the following:
>>    1. What the proposed Summit will discuss?
>>    2. Who will be on the panel of presenters?
>>    3. The format for the Summit
>>    4. (S)election of Summit Organizing Committee (SOC)
>> Additional details of the Singapore meeting are as follows:
>> *Date:* Sunday, June 19, 2011
>> *Time:* 09:00-10:30 (90 minutes)
>> *Location:* Raffles Ballroom
>> *Service:* Simultaneous Interpretation in French and Spanish
>> Please let me know when you have selected your representatives to the
>> meeting, and who they are.
>> Thank you in advance for your consideration, and please do not hesitate to
>> let me know if you need any additional information from me.
>> Sincerely,
>> Katim
> <ISDC Prep Meeting Backgrounder.doc>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20110612/bbb74972/attachment.html>

More information about the council mailing list