[council] Motion to delay thick WHOIS PDP

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 11 16:44:26 UTC 2012

Jonathan,

I agree that the PDP process and the contractual
negotiation processes are essentially distinct
and separate processes, but that does not
preclude a particular outcome as a result of
either. For example, domain tasting was
essentially eliminated in .org, .info and .biz
through RSTEP requests, which is essentially a
mutually agreed upon contract change. A PDP
resulted in a requirement for .com and .net (and
others) to implement a change very similar to
that which had been suggested in the Afilias and Neustar RSTEPS.

So although quite different processes, the end
result can be virtually identical (for any given registry).

On perhaps a more substantive issue, the
suggested amendment changes the motion from one
that delays the process for a relatively finite
defined time, to one that could go on forever.

Alan