[council] Motion to delay thick WHOIS PDP

Jonathan Robinson jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com
Thu Apr 12 08:16:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

It seems clear that there are two key themes here:

1.       The first is the resource issue which encompasses GNSO resources in
general be they staff or broader community.
Recognising this and the comments from staff that resources may become
available, it seems that we do need to consider removing specific reference
to staff resources in the motion and keep the reference to resources more
generally.

2.       The second is the timing and a date certain.
In this case there is an issue of principal (not formally linking contract
negotiations and policy development) and also initiating an interminable
delay or at least a delay with no end point.
However, this principal or these principals shouldn’t affect our common
sense view of this.  The latter may well mean that we agree a date certain
which happens to occur at or near to the date we had in the original motion
such that the work (if indeed it remains necessary) takes account of all
relevant information, including any that may come out of contractual
negotiations.

I trust this is a helpful nudge forwards and broadly consistent with other
postings on this subject.

Best wishes,

Jonathan