[council] RE: Draft Motion and Updated Final Issue Report on the Protection of the Names of International Organizations in New GTLDs

joy joy at apc.org
Fri Oct 12 03:14:38 UTC 2012

Thanks Jeff:
Given the GAC origins of this, I had in mind the categorisations in
this list of observers to the UN:
http://www.un.org/en/members/intergovorg.shtml
IOC and RC are in the "other entities" category - so yes, as drafted
the motion is somewhat problematic in terms of international standards.
Also I am not sure how the term "international" fits with regional
treaties as opposed to global international ones. maybe that can come
out in a PDP.
thanks for the offer to consider friendly amendments. If i can think
of one I will offer it
Cheers
Joy

On 12/10/2012 2:59 p.m., Neuman, Jeff wrote:

> Joy,
>
> I am not sure I understand your question.  The IOC and Red Cross
> are not IGOs or even necessarily International Organizations. So I
> felt like we needed to include them by name in case one considered
> them excluded because they did not fit neatly into those
> definitions. So, my intent (maybe it was poorly worded) was to
> include those 2 groups, not to the exclusion of others, but to make
> sure they were covered in the PDP if one did not consider those 2
> groups either an IGO or INGO.
>
> Perhaps there is better wording for my concern and I would welcome
> any friendly amendments to that end.
>
> Jeffrey J. Neuman Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs
>

> -----Original Message----- From: joy [mailto:joy at apc.org] Sent:
> Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:16 PM To: Glen de Saint Géry Cc:
> Neuman, Jeff; Margie Milam; council at gnso.icann.org;
> gnso-secs at icann.org Subject: Re: [council] RE: Draft Motion and
> Updated Final Issue Report on the Protection of the Names of
> International Organizations in New GTLDs
>
> thanks Glen Jeff: One question: the motion proposes specifically
> inviting a selection of 2 IGOs (IOC and Red Cross) but no INGOs. I
> couldn't find the rationale for that exclusion in the final issues
> report: it would seem fair to extend an invitation to both groups
> given the nature of the PDP proposal. Can you please clarify?
> Thank you Joy
>
> On 11/10/2012 3:53 a.m., Glen de Saint Géry wrote:
>> Dear All,
>

>> The ?clean? motion is posted on page
>
>> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+17+Oct

ober+2012