[council] RE: Berard comments on agenda for the GNSO Council Meeting - 12 December 2013

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Thu Dec 5 00:50:45 UTC 2013

Chuck,

Perhaps I seem flip, but working alongside the folks at the Electronic Frontier Foundation during the Web 1.0 era, I came to endorse their mantra that "architecture is policy."  When technical or organizational decisions are made as to how things are done, they exert influence over why they are done, then and in the future.  This is what was on my mind when I suggested we needed to balance our working group approach (next step: getting co-chairs) and the far faster pace of the community working and strategy groups that are called for and put in place by the Board or Staff.  Think about the asymmetrical creation of the group to support ICANN's participation in the Brazil conference.  My concern is that the way in which these ad hoc groups may become the codified norm.

That's the background to my note.

Cheers,

Berard
--------- Original Message --------- Subject: RE: [council] RE: Berard comments on agenda for the GNSO Council Meeting - 12 December 2013