[council] Update on status of implementation of PEDNR Recommendations

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 15 20:04:18 UTC 2013

One comment, and I am copying Mike on this.

I find the wording regarding educational materials curious.

>Obviously, the consultation with ALAC, registrars, and other
>stakeholders will require more time than would have been required
>were we to develop materials in house, but this is the course the
>GNSO and the Board recommended, and I think it will result in a
>better final product.

I presume that what is meant is that the process will take longer
than if the materials were "developed in house without any community
involvement". The intent of the recommendation was always for ICANN
to develop the materials (possibly contracted out of course), but
that this be done with input from the designated communities, and
pre-deployment verification.

I would like to think that going forward, ICANN would never consider
developing this kind of material would some involvement of the
concerned parties.

Alan