[council] Composition of the Accountability & Transparency Review Team

WUKnoben wolf-ulrich.knoben at t-online.de
Mon Feb 25 12:02:12 UTC 2013

All,

In regards to the recent ATRT appointments the CSG (and the RrSG) asked
the selectors for a rationale why only two endorsed candidates from the
GNSO have been appointed, especially given that in the past there had
been 4 appointments made.

Steve Crocker as chairman of the board and being one of the selectors
gave the following reasons:

"...We had to make some tough decisions because there were quite a few
well qualified candidates.  We did place a bit of emphasis on choosing
people with experience in governance and/or experience with
governments.  This wasn't our exclusive focus, but we did weight our
selection a bit in that direction.  We felt this was consistent with
the focus on accountability and transparency.
We expect each member of the team to look at the full range of issues
and not to be solely pursuing the issues of a particular constituency.
We also expect the people from the GNSO, Brian Cute and Avri Doria,
will be reasonably familiar with the full range of GNSO issues and not
solely within their particular stakeholder groups.
Finally, we recognize that the people who applied to be on the team,
including both endorsed and those who were not endorsed, almost
certainly have some useful and relevant thoughts to share.  The team
is not yet in operation and has not yet set its agenda, but we have
suggested the team might usefully listen to the candidates who were
not included.  The initial reaction from the team members seems
positive, and so it seems likely they will choose to do this..."

Best regards

Wolf-Ulrich