[council] Draft Letter to BGC

john at crediblecontext.com john at crediblecontext.com
Mon Jun 17 21:24:52 UTC 2013

Jeff, et. al.,
Even though short, this note makes more of what happened than I heard.  In as much as it was an open discussion, we didn't hear from all and we certainly took no votes, either on a proposal, motion or sense of the Council.   
And I was the guy who coined the term "executivication" of decision-making at ICANN.  I see the problem, but not the basis for a solution.

It is true that the Board committee's decision has sparked a bit of a controversy (the transcript of the meeting shows that), but there is no basis for any "ask," except perhaps that the full Board draw its own conclusion as to whether the decision undermines the community as has been suggested.  Asking for this to be on our joint meeting agenda for Durban is totally within our purview, too.
I guess that rolls up to being an objection. 
--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [council] Draft Letter to BGC
From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman at neustar.us>
Date: 6/17/13 1:09 pm
To: "'jrobinson at afilias.info'" <jrobinson at afilias.info>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>, "council at gnso.icann.org" <council at gnso.icann.org>

 Thanks for forwarding this note on to the Council.  Given the timing sensitivities, I would propose the Council tomorrow sending a note like the one below.  Any objections?  
 Dear Board Governance Committee,
                 As you may be aware, the GNSO Council had the opportunity to review the BGC Recommendation on Reconsideration Request 13-3, which can be found at  http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/governance/reconsideration/recommendation-ncsg-16may13-en.pdf (Recommendation) during its regular monthly Council call on June 16, 2013.   
 Although the Council in no way intends to interfere with outcomes of Reconsideration Requests in general, we have some key concerns with the implications of the rationale used by the BGC in support of the Recommendation.  These concerns were expressed during the Council call and on the Council mailing list and centered around the perceived potential impact of the Recommendation on the GNSO and more broadly, the bottom-up, multi-stakeholder model.
                 We therefore respectfully ask the BGC to withdraw the arguments used to support the ultimate rejection of the Reconsideration Request, and replace the rationale with something more in line with the scope of Reconsideration Requests as outlined in the ICANN Bylaws.  In addition, we ask that we continue the dialogue on the this particular matter in July at the ICANN meeting in Durban.
 Jonathan Robinson
 GNSO Council Chair 
  Jeffrey J. Neuman 
 Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs
   From: owner-council at gnso.icann.org [mailto:owner-council at gnso.icann.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Robinson
 Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 7:02 AM
 To: 'Bruce Tonkin'; council at gnso.icann.org
 Subject: RE: [council] GNSO Council Meeting - 13 June 2013 - Actionss arising from Item 6 (Reconsideration request ... )

 Thank-you for flagging this.
 We will endeavour to provide you with this.
   From: Bruce Tonkin [mailto:Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au] 
 Sent: 16 June 2013 23:52
 To: council at gnso.icann.org
 Subject: RE: [council] GNSO Council Meeting - 13 June 2013 - Actionss arising from Item 6 (Reconsideration request ... )

 Hello Jonathan,
 For information- the Board Governance Committee is meeting on Tuesday 18 June at 21:00 UTC time.
 A review of the rationale for reconsideration request 13.3 is on the agenda.   Any materials you can provide before then would be useful.
 I am expecting that the new gTLD program committee will then consider reconsideration request 13.3 at its meeting on 25 June 2013.
 Bruce Tonkin
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20130617/628144e5/attachment.html>

More information about the council mailing list