[council] Draft Letter to BGC

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Tue Jun 18 14:42:15 UTC 2013



Good that the short version makes sense.  It’s often the case as you well know!


I felt it was clear in the Council meeting of 13/06/2013n that I understood that a formal letter would need to be sent on behalf of the Council and that this was what we were discussing.

I haven’t cross-checked against the transcript.  However, I did cover this in my 16/06/2013 summary of the discussion and outcomes and didn’t receive any objections.  

Of course, it doesn’t necessarily require a vote for us to take action.


We have an unusually tight deadline in that the BGC is meeting today at 21h00 UTC.  If we accept your objection, we do nothing, at least before the BGC meets.  

If we are to do something before the BGC meets, we need to do it fast.  


Personally, I am OK to put my name next to a draft substantially similar to what Jeff has outlined below but clearly, need support from the Council if I am to do so.

Is there a variation on what Jeff has written that you feel you could support reasonably well in advance of the 21h00 deadline?







From: john at crediblecontext.com [mailto:john at crediblecontext.com] 
Sent: 17 June 2013 23:25
To: Neuman, Jeff; 'jrobinson at afilias.info'; 'Bruce Tonkin'; council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: RE: [council] Draft Letter to BGC


Jeff, et. al.,


Even though short, this note makes more of what happened than I heard.  In as much as it was an open discussion, we didn't hear from all and we certainly took no votes, either on a proposal, motion or sense of the Council.  


And I was the guy who coined the term "executivication" of decision-making at ICANN.  I see the problem, but not the basis for a solution.


It is true that the Board committee's decision has sparked a bit of a controversy (the transcript of the meeting shows that), but there is no basis for any "ask," except perhaps that the full Board draw its own conclusion as to whether the decision undermines the community as has been suggested.  Asking for this to be on our joint meeting agenda for Durban is totally within our purview, too.


I guess that rolls up to being an objection. 






--------- Original Message --------- 

Subject: [council] Draft Letter to BGC
From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman at neustar.us>
Date: 6/17/13 1:09 pm
To: "'jrobinson at afilias.info'" <jrobinson at afilias.info>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>, "council at gnso.icann.org" <council at gnso.icann.org>



Thanks for forwarding this note on to the Council.  Given the timing sensitivities, I would propose the Council tomorrow sending a note like the one below.  Any objections?  




Dear Board Governance Committee,


                As you may be aware, the GNSO Council had the opportunity to review the BGC Recommendation on Reconsideration Request 13-3, which can be found at http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/governance/reconsideration/recommendation-ncsg-16may13-en.pdf (Recommendation) during its regular monthly Council call on June 16, 2013.   


Although the Council in no way intends to interfere with outcomes of Reconsideration Requests in general, we have some key concerns with the implications of the rationale used by the BGC in support of the Recommendation.  These concerns were expressed during the Council call and on the Council mailing list and centered around the perceived potential impact of the Recommendation on the GNSO and more broadly, the bottom-up, multi-stakeholder model.


                We therefore respectfully ask the BGC to withdraw the arguments used to support the ultimate rejection of the Reconsideration Request, and replace the rationale with something more in line with the scope of Reconsideration Requests as outlined in the ICANN Bylaws.  In addition, we ask that we continue the dialogue on the this particular matter in July at the ICANN meeting in Durban.



Jonathan Robinson

GNSO Council Chair 



Jeffrey J. Neuman 
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs


From: owner-council at gnso.icann.org [mailto:owner-council at gnso.icann.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Robinson
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 7:02 AM
To: 'Bruce Tonkin'; council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: RE: [council] GNSO Council Meeting - 13 June 2013 - Actionss arising from Item 6 (Reconsideration request ... )




Thank-you for flagging this.


We will endeavour to provide you with this.




From: Bruce Tonkin [mailto:Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au] 
Sent: 16 June 2013 23:52
To: council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: RE: [council] GNSO Council Meeting - 13 June 2013 - Actionss arising from Item 6 (Reconsideration request ... )


Hello Jonathan,


For information- the Board Governance Committee is meeting on Tuesday 18 June at 21:00 UTC time.


A review of the rationale for reconsideration request 13.3 is on the agenda.   Any materials you can provide before then would be useful.


I am expecting that the new gTLD program committee will then consider reconsideration request 13.3 at its meeting on 25 June 2013.



Bruce Tonkin


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20130618/a6cc7083/attachment.html>

More information about the council mailing list