[council] Agenda for GNSO Council Meetings in Beijing / Council-Board

Jonathan Robinson jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com
Tue Mar 26 21:17:36 UTC 2013

All,

My suggested process is as follows:

1. Create an agreed list of topics (which may need to be pared back)
2. Seek volunteers to introduce and open the topic in the discussion in
Beijing

In order to prepare, I met with Steve Crocker late last week and talked with
him about how we might best interact.
I shared with him my sense that our interactions have not always been
productive and that we have, at least at times in in some prior
interactions, talked past one another.
As a consequence, we agreed to experiment with a new approach as follows:

We (the GNSO Council) define topics we wish to discuss with the board.  Say
3-5 topics.  The board will leave that to us.
We pull together a sub-group of Councillors who can introduce these topics
effectively and, prior to meeting with the board, discuss them with GNSO
board members Bruce Tonkin and Bill Graham.
The purpose of working with Bill & Graham is to develop and frame the topics
in a way which will be most constructive in our interaction with the board.

So far, we have some topics on the list as follows:

1. Multi-stakeholder model & processes and recent activities that challenge
the model.
2. The concept of Public Interest within the ICANN model
3. ICANN engagement & outreach
4. New constituencies

I urge you to come forward and support these, suggest that they are modified
or removed and, potentially, offer to lead these.

I feel we are at a pivotal point in time for many reasons.  We have an
opportunity to take advantage of face-to-face interaction with the Board and
engage effectively.

I look forward to further input from you and then engaging Bill & Bruce on
this next week.  I hope I haven't left out previous suggestions, please
remind me if I have.

Thank-you,

Jonathan