[council] RE: Regarding reconsideration request from the Non-Commercial Stakeholder group relating to decision on the Trademark Clearinghouse

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed May 22 15:23:26 UTC 2013

Jeff (and others),

I believe that your (upper case) wording below is incorrect in a very
substantive way. you say "50 VARIATIONS OF PREVIOUSLY ABUSED MARKS",
The 20 March document
(http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/trademark-clearinghouse/strawman-solution-memo-20mar13-en.pdf)
specifies that a TM holder can add up to 50 strings PER TMCH RECORD.
That implies that for a mark that is registered in multiple (perhaps
100+) jurisdictions, and is thus has a similar number of entries in
the TMCH, the number of abused strings that could be entered into the
TMCH for a single TM character string could be far larger than 50.

Alan