[council] Final GAC communique

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Nov 22 17:13:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

I do not think this should surprise us.  And I mean the disrespect the GAC has for any structure lower than the Board.  For them to acknowledge our work would be for them to acknowledge that we have a role on a par with theirs.  And governments never admit to being equal to any one else - only in the IGF have we seem some loosening of that in the general Internet governance arena.  I expect that they really do not consider the Board their equals, but they put up with the things they need to put up with.

They had a liaison with the Council in the past, but participation limited them and limited their ability to give advise that took no account of the work done in the GNSO.  Early engagement is contradictory to reinforcing the power of their advice - which is their ultimate goal.

I think we should continue to invite and encourage them to participate.  Sooner or later one of them will take us seriously again - we have had some WG participants from GAC in the past, we may again some day.  But we should also not fool ourselves into expecting them to take any supportive notice of our efforts.

I have every respect for those of you doing the essential work on improving coordination between GAC and the GNSO, as I expect your main reward will be knowing you tried, as opposed to any real GAC early engagement.  Hope I am wrong.

avri