[council] Draft PDP charter - Privacy & Proxy Accreditation Services PDP WG

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Tue Oct 15 13:23:53 UTC 2013

All,

Following up on our discussion regarding the charter for the "RAA Remaining
Issues PDP" on our call on Thursday last week, I hope that we can start a
discussion right away regarding possible revisions to the draft charter
prepared by staff which I forwarded to you all just prior to our meeting.  I
believe our aim should be to form a view as to whether or not the draft
charter, as amended according to our anticipated discussions, is a document
that can be voted on for adoption at our next Council meeting.

As a reminder, our options are essentially either:

1.       Discuss and revise this draft charter for formal adoption by the
Council, which will then proceed to form a Working Group (WG) to begin work;
or

2.       Create a Drafting Team (DT) to finalize a charter - based either
upon this draft or starting from a blank slate - to be proposed for adoption
at a later Council meeting.

On our Thursday call last week, several Councillors supported option 1 above
as a pragmatic way forward i.e. to see if we can find agreement as to the
terms of the charter that will govern the WG's work. I am therefore
circulating the draft Charter again (re-titled and slightly revised to more
accurately reflect the scope of the PDP) for discussion.

My sense is that the scope will be largely governed by the specific issues
that are laid out in Section III of the draft Charter.  So, perhaps we can
start by discussing possible revisions to these questions, not in terms of
substantive discussion over the merits or content of the answers, but in
relation to whether they sufficiently describe and frame the scope of work
for the WG.

If we are able to reach agreement within the next week, we can then propose
the revised charter for adoption on 21 October i.e. within the document
deadline for our upcoming 31 October meeting.

I look forward to an engaging and constructive discussion on the list on
this topic.

Thanks,

Jonathan