[council] Response to the call for Public Comment - ICANN Strategy Panels Draft Report

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Wed Apr 2 11:01:42 UTC 2014

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for this excellent draft response. A few thoughts of my own:

You make it clear while addressing each of the recommendations that there are indeed existing mechanisms in line with what the MSI panel has concluded desirable. It seems you’re pointing out that the panel didn’t do a very good job of analysing how the GNSO PDP actually works before setting out to suggest “innovative” improvements, without actually saying it. This was a major problem with this panel, and I feel it is worthwhile to bluntly make that clear. I say this, not out of a desire to discredit the panel’s recommendations, but more as part of the critical appraisal of the research methods it utilised. Beth Novek was advised to explore the existing mechanisms by which the GNSO functions in BA, but opted not to. Considering the similarities between the panel’s recommendations and what actually takes place in the GNSO, had there been more insight gained, I suspect there might have been some very useful recommendations coming out of this panel. Perhaps something in the overarching comment?

On “Use Expert Networks”: This is one recommendation I am actually in agreement with (despite how the panel reached its conclusions). The GNSO does have a great deal of expertise in its ranks, and participating in WGs. However, I think there are areas in which more active outreach to experts in wouldn’t be so bad, particularly concerning policies being developed by the GNSO that conflict with certain privacy and data protection jurisdictions. To my knowledge, we haven’t done such a good job at that so far. This is evident with the data retention problem in the 2013 RAA, the “thick” WHOIS PDP’s inability to address privacy and data protection concerns it was chartered to address, as well as the EWG’s status update report reporting that more research on this matter needs to be conducted. Let’s not be too dismissive of this recommendation.

On “Impose Rotating Term Limits”: My understanding of this recommendation was not that it was exclusive to the Council, but also for officers of the different SGs and constituencies. I probably need to go back and check on this again. However, if that is the case, I don’t appreciate the sentiment of imposing anything on these groups. That’s rather extreme. The rules that govern term limits in the SGs and constituencies is determined by their respective charters/by-laws, and although subject to approval by the ICANN board of directors (and SIC I think), they should not be imposed by anyone. I have a problem with this recommendation in principle and wouldn’t mind making a point of it.

Thanks again for taking this up, Jonathan.

Amr